What’s the hype about magnesium?
Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the human body. It’s involved in over 600 cellular reactions, including DNA synthesis, energy production, bone growth and the proper function of nerves and muscles.
Magnesium is a macro-mineral, which is needed by the body in large amounts. The body contains about 25grams of magnesium, with 60% found in the muscles and the remaining 40% in tissues, bones and fluid such as blood.
Yet despite it’s importance, 68% of people don’t’ meet their recommended daily intake.
So we’re going to explore some of the health benefits of magnesium:
Calcium is involved in the contraction phase of a muscle whilst magnesium is used in the relaxation phase. Cramping, spasms and twitching can occur if a muscle cannot relax properly and may be related to low levels of magnesium in within the muscles.
Magnesium plays a role in bone formation where it helps to keep bones strong and malleable.
It also helps to reduce the rate that bones break down, preventing osteoporosis.
Heart and Cardiovascular Health
Magnesium has a range of benefits when it comes to our cardiovascular system. Firstly, magnesium helps to metabolize calcium. If there is more calcium than magnesium in the arteries, the calcium can build up increasing the risk of arteriosclerosis.
Secondly, magnesium acts on the heart muscles like it does any other muscle. In conjunction with calcium it helps to produce the contraction and relaxation phases of a heartbeat. When levels between the two are equal, a normal heart rhythm is maintained, but if the ratio is out of balance arrhythmia may result.
Its effect on muscles also extends to the veins and arteries. Magnesium prevents blood vessel constriction helping to reduce against high blood pressure.
Magnesium intake may prevent or relieve the symptoms of headaches, including frequency and pain intensity.
One study found that people who started taking magnesium supplements experienced 42% fewer migraines than before.
Helps against Type 2 diabetes
Studies suggest that 48% of people with Type- 2 Diabetes have low levels of magnesium.
Adequate levels of magnesium helps to reduce insulin resistance, this is the impaired ability of the muscles and liver to properly absorb sugar (glucose). As magnesium helps muscles relax, muscle cells are able absorb more sugar from the blood stream. This means it may have the ability to not only control blood sugar levels but also prevent the onset of diabetes.
Helps PMS symptoms
Studies have shown magnesium can help reduce period pain and symptoms of premenstrual syndrome including mood swings and fluid retention.
Low energy and fatigue
Magnesium is required in the ATP synthesis pathway that converts food to energy. If not enough energy is being created you are not more likely to feel tired and lethargic.
Improved sleep quality
Magnesium may help improve your sleep quality by helping your mind and body to relax, which may allow you to fall asleep easier and stay asleep longer.
It can also prevent restless leg syndrome by relaxing muscles and lowering inflammation.
Now you know the benefits of magnesium you may be wondering how you get more of it.
Magnesium can be easily found in many foods including nuts and seeds (almonds, pumpkin seeds), dark green vegetables (spinach, broccoli), dark chocolate 70% coca and legumes.
Please consult your health practitioner before trying supplements.
Get In Touch
We are conveniently located in Noble Park servicing South Eastern Melbourne suburbs such as: Keysborough, Cranbourne, Springvale, Dandenong, Carrum Downs, Chelsea, Aspendale Gardens, Springvale, Officer, Berwick, Pakenham, Eumemmerring, Doveton, Patterson Lakes, Hampton Park, Mulgrave, Clayton, Braeside, Dingley, Hallam and Sandhurst.